Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg

Winnipeg Transit

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Driver Safety Rating and Driver’s Abstract and how do I obtain these?

In Manitoba, a Driver Safety Rating (DSR) scale is used to recognize your driving behaviour. Your position on this scale reflects your driver record; the higher your rating, the better your driver record.

A Driver Abstract is a document containing the details of your driver record such as licence class, licence expiry date, any at-fault accidents, convictions, suspensions, disqualifications, and prohibitions.

You may obtain a copy of your DSR and your Driver’s Abstract through Manitoba Public Insurance. At present, obtaining a copy of your DSR is free. A Driver Abstract can be obtained at the approximate cost of $10. You are responsible for this cost.

How do I obtain a Police Information Check ?

You may request the Police Information Check either online at Winnipeg Police Service Website or in person at the Winnipeg Police Service located at 245 Smith Street (Enter at Smith & Graham). For more information on how to obtain a Police Information Check, please visit the Winnipeg Police Service Website. You are responsible for this cost.

What is the minimum age requirement?

Manitoba Public Insurance requires a candidate must be 18 years of age or older to be able to apply for an Authorized Instruction in Class 2.

How long does the recruitment process take?

It usually takes 8 weeks to complete the recruitment process.

Where can I find information on becoming eligible for employment in Canada?

You may contact the Government of Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration Centre

I do not live in Manitoba, do I have to transfer to a Manitoba licence prior to my training start date?

Yes, you must obtain a Manitoba licence prior to your training start date.

What is the level of pay for an entry level Transit Operator?

Transit Operator pay levels are as per the collective agreement:

  • starting at $21.20/hr.
  • includes a defined benefit pension plan with matching employer contributions and a flexible benefits package is also provided.
  • a Bus Operator will attain a final wage of $30.32 in year 4 of employment under the current contract.

Will I work shifts as a Transit Operator?

Yes, Transit Operators are required to work shifts. These may vary from day to day and week to week, but will certainly include “split shifts”. This means that Operators are required to work a total of 7.5-8 hours over a 12 hour time period.

For example:
- Report time: 3:05 pm to 7:05 pm
- Unpaid break
- Report time: 9:45 pm to 1:45 am

Shift work will have an impact on your personal life. All candidates must consider this aspect of the position very seriously.

What is the 6-week training period like?

The 6-week Operator Training program consists of both in-class and day and night on-road sessions. Operator Trainees must meet the minimum testing requirements on all examinations to progress through the training. Transit Operator Trainees will be paid hourly at a rate of $17.30 while in training.

I don’t have a computer at home. Where can I go to apply online?

Check with your local library to see if they have computers on site available for public use. You will be required to reserve the computer with your library card. Consult your local phone directory for a library near you.

Many Service Canada Centres and local Community Centres such as the YMCA may also offer the use of their computers for the purposes of applying.